in

6th grade Research Paper

Last post 02-15-2008 9:21 AM by Martha. 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 02-09-2008 9:02 AM

6th grade Research Paper

At the end of 6th grade the student does a research paper using the MLA style.  Am I the only parent who has problems with MLA?  MLA was started in the late 1970's so it is new to me too.  

I read the MLA Handbook for Writers of Research Papers (ISBN 0-87352-986-3) and found it useful and confusing.  I found that the MLA rules are not consistant, everything has an exception.  To further add to this confusion there are several other writing styles like the APA.  The textbooks publishers use another style so they are not a good example for MLA. 

MLA - Long Island University  http://www.liunet.edu/cwis/cwp/library/workshop/citmla.htm

A Guide for Writing Research Papers Based on Modern Language Association (MLA) Documentation  http://www.ccc.commnet.edu/mla/index.shtml

UW Madison Writing Center  http://www.wisc.edu/writing/Handbook/index.html

Online! A Reference Guide to Using Internet Sources http://www.bedfordstmartins.com/online/index.html

The Everyday Writer http://bcs.bedfordstmartins.com/everyday_writer3e/default.asp?uid=0&rau=0

Then after being confused with all of this for weeks and reading the MLA Handbook, I found a computer program for helping with citations in research papers.   EndNote by Thomson  www.endnote.com  they have a free trial that you can download.  I am still learning to use this program but it helps with the citations part of the paper.

Has anyone else had difficulty with the research paper citations?  

Filed under:
  • 02-09-2008 9:33 AM In reply to

• kecall
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 07-02-2007
    • Maryland
    • Posts 250

Re: 6th grade Research Paper

Hi Lorraine! ------------ It's been several years since "we" were in 6th grade, but is this the paper connected to World Geography?? If I'm thinking of the right composition, then my dd wrote a paper on the Castles of Ireland....... We followed Calvert's outline in working on the project -- keeping notes on index cards, writing references as she went along, checking things off as they were completed........ Though it was a lengthy project, my dd had little difficulty finishing it. She also got high marks on it, so she must've done something right!! Smile ----------- It sounds to me like you are 'thinking too deeply'....... This is a 6th grade term paper, NOT a college thesis!! haha!! Sounds like you are stressing too much over it......If I were you, I would stick with the information Calvert provides in working on the paper and leave it at that! Though I'm sure your research has been helpful in some ways, you may be complicating the process more than you need to........................... (Remind me of this next year when my younger dd is in 6th grade, and I'm stressing over the same paper!!!) Big Smile
    karen Smile
  • 02-09-2008 6:12 PM In reply to

Do you really think I'm thinking too deeply?  LOL!!!  I can't help it, I solve problems with research.It's who I am, maybe I don't need to share it. Zip it! 

He is doing a paper on the Egypt.  He did all of the checklist, index cards and references.  I do not know what to expect with Calvert.  With another homeschool program we had an "A" paper get a "B" because of MLA mistakes. This was a wake-up call, and is why I am stressing out with this paper.   

I'll go have a cup of coffee relax. Coffee

• 02-09-2008 8:46 PM In reply to

• kecall
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 07-02-2007
    • Maryland
    • Posts 250

I understand completely!! You know that you and I are wired the SAME way!!! Wink I can tell you that our experience was that both my dd and I stressed for no reason. It was obvious that my dd put a lot of time and effort into her project. (She didn't just open one book and copy information from it!) She followed the directions Calvert gave, and received glowing remarks for her paper................................................... I suggest a cup of coffee....OR something a little stronger to relax about it! Big Smile
    karen Smile
  • 02-14-2008 5:13 PM In reply to

Yeah, I looked forward after reading this post and discovered that it's coming up.  After the 5th grade state project, I'm sure my son will breeze through it, relatively speaking, of course....  I have a book of MLA format instruction left over from when my second son was in 8th grade, and am sure we'll get plenty of wear on that one....

Marjie
  • 02-15-2008 9:21 AM In reply to

• Martha
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 07-05-2007
    • Hunt Valley, MD
    • Posts 200

Students need to go no further than their Calvert Lesson Manual and their Elements of Language text for instructions in the format for this paper. It is not a high school or college level research paper needing footnotes. If they follow the directions provided and read the guidelines in the text, they will be fine!  Anytime questions arise, feel free to contact the Education Counselors for assistance.

Martha Cole
    Education Counselor
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)