in

Independence Day Lesson for 1st Grade

Last post 06-11-2010 9:39 PM by bethanne. 2 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 06-05-2010 10:04 PM

Independence Day Lesson for 1st Grade

Even though we're on our summer break, I'm still informally teaching my DD, who will be starting her 1st grade curriculum in August, and with Independence Day approaching, I'm trying to find a good lesson plan that it is suitable for her age/grade level.  I mean, I can compile things myself, but I like using lesson plans that are geared for her so that she can understand it better and get the most out of the exposure.  Basically, I don't want to get too detailed with her if that's just not necessary for her age and expecting too much.  I just want her to know there's more to the day than fireworks and cookouts with yummy food, you know?  Plus, just because we're on summer break doesn't mean we can't be learning things.

Does anyone have any suggestions on where I could find a good lesson plan, unit studies, or something?  I seem to have a hard time finding any Social Studies lesson plans for this grade level.

• 06-07-2010 8:48 AM In reply to

Re: Independence Day Lesson for 1st Grade

Christi

I would do an internet search for an Independence Day lesson.  I haven't taught this particular holiday before, but have often found cute ideas for other holidays.  I am often able to find simple lessons and crafts that can be used for a variety of grade levels.  For this holiday, I might focus on the meaning of the word independence, and possibly learn about the symbols for the holiday (the flag, Uncle Sam, the Liberty Bell, and etc.)  Your student could create a little book and paste a picture of each symbol on a page and write a fact or something he learned to accompany the symbol.  In addition, you could teach your student "The Star Spangled Banner" or some other patriotic song.  I would also consult your local library as they often have holiday related books.  I hope you will find something that is interesting for you and your student.  Have a great holiday! 

Emily Smith
    Education Counselor
  • 06-11-2010 9:39 PM In reply to

• bethanne
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 06-08-2010
    • Southern Illinois near to St. Louis
    • Posts 2

Re: Independence Day Lesson for 1st Grade

I recentlly explained the to G age 6 that the National Anthem has a story and emotions to it.  Not just a bunch of words to mumble in a song.  She was amazed at the story I created for her.

So I went to find some activities about the 4th of July the other day when it was stormy and we could not be outside.  Try this link for a few quick easy things to do.

http://www.apples4theteacher.com/holidays/fourth-of-july/printables/

Filed under:
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)