in

Math

Last post 11-06-2007 6:41 PM by Faith. 3 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 10-24-2007 2:02 PM

Math

I am doing 1st with my dd. I have noticed many of you do not use the math that Calvert includes. I am just curious as to why you have chosen not to use it and what you use instead?

Thank you!

• 10-25-2007 3:24 PM In reply to

Re: Math

I am using Saxon math Algebra with my ds.  I decided on Saxon because Calvert only goes to Algebra 1 and we would need to go beyond that before we finish Calvert. We used Calvert math until we finished 7th grade math.  

With my other child we are doing Calvert 5th grade math, and I am finding mistakes in the lessons weekly, because these mistakes are not promptly communicated with the parents-teachers, I am not planning to use Calvert math anymore after we finish this year all of my children will be using Saxon math.  With Saxon I have not found a mistake that is not already posted as a mistake.  

The Saxon Math site has information about their math programs.  I purchased my Saxon course with DIVE from Rainbow Resources at a discounted price.

I hope I did not confuse you.  You will find if at  Rainbow Resources  many math programs for young children.  You need to discover how your child learns math concepts. There are parents who have children that have to learn math best by touching they have a very hard time learning math anyother way.  There are also programs that teach math by touching. In this case many parents are using other programs.

I hope this helps.  Good Luck!

Filed under:
  • 10-25-2007 6:43 PM In reply to

Hi,

We are also using Saxon. We started with saxon K a year before we signed up for Calvert K. We discovered that calvert is not as thorough and advanced in many areas as calvert is, has a far better teacher's manual, is more hands on, and has fewer worksheets. It isn't as colorful but my ds (4) prefers saxon math 1's black nad white worksheets to calvert's colored ones anyday. Saxon is also incremental and calvert is more of a spiral approach. I like the incremental best for us as it builds skills and confidence gradually as well as paths the way for mastery.

Singapore math takes a second to calvert, in my opinion, as it also ranks better than calvert. The thing is that the teacher's materials aren't nearly as in-depth and helpful the way saxon is.

Sarah :)

Mom to DS (2003), DD (2006), DS (2006), and baby DS to come (2008)!

myspace.com/sarahkittysworld
  • 11-06-2007 6:41 PM In reply to

• Faith
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 11-05-2007
    • USA
    • Posts 28

Momof2dd:

I am doing 1st with my dd. I have noticed many of you do not use the math that Calvert includes. I am just curious as to why you have chosen not to use it and what you use instead?

Thank you!

Hi Momof2dd,

I am using the complete 1st grade Calvert course (with ATS)... I actually like the math that Calvert supplies, but I guess I have nothing to compare that toBig Smile.  I did notice a mistake with the cuisenaire rods, but that is easily corrected (use one from the back of the lesson manual and color it the appropriate color)... are there any others that I should be aware of?

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)