in

Calvert math

Last post 10-23-2008 3:14 PM by fun_at_home_school. 2 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 10-20-2008 3:56 PM

Calvert math

Hello all,

I am homeschooling with Calvert KG but I feel like I need to do more in the Math and science area.  Does anyone supplement with other texts, I heard good things about RightStart math and using OM science.

Thanks

• 10-23-2008 11:47 AM In reply to

Re: Calvert math

• 10-23-2008 3:14 PM In reply to

Re: Calvert math

The math seems a little simplistic many times.  We just started KG and it is all about learning things like inside, outside, thicker, thinner, sort by color, sort by shape, sort by size etc.   Not even into the numbers yet.  

I guess it's good to start with the basics and it makes class days a lot easier and shorter, which I think is a nice way to start with my DD.

I almost went with 1st grade math, but there are some things later in KG math (telling time, counting money) that DD still needs to learn.  Also, she is really strong with knowing how to put numbers in order if they are 1-10, but 11-30 she is not as strong with.   I did not want to rush into 1st grade math and have her have a bad experience.

When we actually finally get to use numbers in math, it is supposed to be getting her really strong in 1-30 and doing some addition and subtraction using pictures (5 sheep and 2 more sheep is how many sheep?).   She is already very good at the addition/subtraction thing also, but oh well.

Page 1 of 1 (3 items)